SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rudder failure on new OC43s
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
OK, just spoke to the owner that had a stop into Bermudas. As far as I understood, there is an assembling mistake done at ruder post upper bearings. As per owner told me, Beneteau changed the original project and designed another collar around ruder bearing, but it should had to be filed with epoxy glued to the hull, but production is skiping the filling part, leaving just a collar around the rudder post not bonded properly. Another OC40 inspected and has same missing epoxy filling. Those two boats are taking pictures and talking to Beneteau, and once I have it will share. Owner told me also that Beneteau has never ocurred such rudder failure before and indicate this is an isolated case. Anyway, OC 43 and OC40 are under repair, and they are reinforcing the post bearings with epoxy.

Last edited by negrini; 11-30-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook