Join Date: May 2002
Location: East Coast
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 17
Dawg...while Portabotes are a good selection for certain applications, I would ALWAYS choose a Rib for cruising if I could handle one....and I have been in one and seen the choices available.
Compared to a Rib...
1. They are in the same ballpark weight wise.
2. They are significantly slower and can't be used in many situations where I would take my rib.
3. They hold significantly less weight and load carrying capacity is important when cruising.
4. They handle chop and waves much less well.
5. The assembly is a pain and the seats are a known problem.
That said...they are a very reasonable choice when short distance dinghy rides are all that is required and where space is at a premium. I've been looking at the sailing version as something that might be a nice addition to an RV.
No longer posting. Reach me by PM!