SailNet Community - View Single Post - Main Sail
Thread: Main Sail
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
The Cal 29 of the guy that suggested this has a bolt rope at the bottom so it is attached through the whole length of the foot. I notice that the main advantage for him was that even with little to no wind he seemed to be able to keep his boat moving a lot faster than anyone else. (We awarded him the nick name "5 knot" because of he could go 5 knots without the wind blowing) The "shelf" of his main must be the reason for the outstanding performance of his boat. Mel passed away after a bout with cancer a few months ago so I'm left with answering this question by inquiring here. I really appreciate the responses. Mel told me that other than the extra speed he was able to obtain the other thing he really liked about the shelf foot with full battens is that the sail is a lot quieter both when tacking and while reaching. His thoughts were that this translated into less turbulent air flow around the sail and thus better performance. Based on how well his boat handled under the conditions I had the pleasure of observing him in I would have to agree BUT I never got to see him reef the main OR handle the boat in heavier air (more than 25 knots). I suspect part of the reason for the outstanding performance of his boat was the fact that "5 knot" was just an outstanding sailor. I did note though that in winds around 20 knots I could stay up with him so it seemed to me that the majority of the improvement was in lighter air. Does this correspond with anyone's experience with this type of sail?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook