SailNet Community - View Single Post - Navigating with an iPhone?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008

PaulSail51 is on a distinguished road
With Respects to the "Captain"

The Garmin is clunky to use and the iPhone is elegant. The Garmin requires you to use an arrow key to navigate the charts, hit or miss when navigating the screen, the iPhone, you use the multi touch screen, and the Garmin does NOT have the detail of the raster charts.

Granted the iPhone is not perfect but it will get you where you are going as it has proved in numerous trips to the islands and up and down the coast.

Also as I said, I am simply day sailing and weekending, not navigating the Atlantic or going to Hawaii, in which case I would use a serious chart plotter.

BTW- the HTC w Windows Mobile is nothing compared to the iPhone. Windows mobile is buggy and generally regarded as crap, it filled a vacuum when Palm crashed and burned. The Apple hardware/software integration, industrial design, interface design, control of third party applications and quality is superior to anything that is currently out there.

Donít be surprised when we start seeing articles about the iPhone capabilities being tested on long passages.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook