SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello to Sailnet Community
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008
liveaboardwannabe

augustur is on a distinguished road
Hello to Sailnet Community

Hello,

Although I have sailed since I was 2 (53 years ago), thanks to a father and grandfather who were more or less obsessed with sailboats (1926 vintage 10 metre, 1930 vintage 22 sq metre, 1950 custom built yawl...), I have never owned a sailboat larger than a daysailer. I figured that chartering was a better way to enjoy sailing if you haven't the time to live on board, and to maintain a boat so I've chartered all manner of sailboats (monohulls, cats, sloops, ketches...) in the Pacific Northwest and all over the world (Tahiti, Tonga, New Zealand, Greece, Carribbean, Great Lakes, Seychelles, Maldives....).

Now I'm retired and am finally ready to buy a boat with the intention of living aboard in the Pacific Northwest and (among other things) sailing to Alaska through the inside passage. (That probably means motoring more than half the time.) It is not obvious that a sailboat is the ideal solution for this lifestyle, but I can't bring myself to live on a powerboat at this point. For this area, a pilot house sailboat seems ideal, particularly in the wet season (most of the time).

I've looked at the threads in this community and see that it is a fabulous resource for people like myself. I look forward to learning more.

A.J. Rogers, West Linn, OR
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook