SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Attn: People with the pretty boats. How do you do it?

7K views 50 replies 29 participants last post by  lofty22810 
#1 ·
Lots of cool pictures posted here over the last week or so, particularly the "on the hard" thread. It got me thinking... Geesh those are some shiny boats. Polished hulls, clean bright bootstipes, varnished rails & brightwork, new canvas, white sails etc etc... Not since I toured the "you must get your hull polished monthly, and you can't use your boat or do anything else with it" marina on Shelter Island, San Diego, have I seen such a collection of little gems. Am I missing something here? I spent about 2 weeks a year and a half ago repainting my deck. It looked nice for about 6 months.... The hull? Polished it 2 years ago, took about 2 days. looked good for about 2 months. Brightwork: did it all 2 years ago with the deg. Looks like crap now. Sails? cleaning? that means sailing the the rain right? done that. Seems like just keeping up the important stuff like wiring, engine, plumbing, rig etc consumes all of my time and money. I don't lead that busy of a life, but sure couldn't find any time to perty up the old girl this year. Not that I didn't want to. I would love to.
So how is it done?

#36 ·
Time and Money (or lack thereof)

When I bought my current boat, I found all kinds of lines on it loaded with "Marlin Spike" handy work, and everything was pretty much "Bristol". I thought, "man...somebody's got a lot of time on their hands!". I'm convinced that Marlin Spike work and Bristol standards were basically devices to keep crews occupied for months at sea. I keep my boat in good mechanical condition, but if I wanted it Bristol, I would never have time to sail it. If I cut a line, I dip it in sealer and call it done. If it needs a loop, I throw a Bowline on it! The teak gets one coat of oil a year, and forget about varnish! If I were retired or had enough money to have someone else make her shine, things would be different! Lets see.... to sail or polish? Sailing will win every time!

#39 ·
sailboy2--------here in NE Minnesota on the western end of lake superior deer hunting is a major thing in november. i haven't been out the last few years but have shot over 30 and enjoyed the hunt through the years.. it sounds like you are getting some good use of your boat.

#40 ·
My sailboat is a tool. It works for me. It enables me to partake in the subsistence fisheries, and to hunt, and travel. Its condition is "well used" not abused. Not neglected. It gets the job done in an economical and efficient manner. Should I have a pontoon boat? No... You see I am a sailor and this is my boat. She has more miles under her keel than coats of varnish on you hatch...
I have no problem with this. I give you credit as I bet 99.9% of the population up there is doing the same, but using gas guzzling stinkpots, that are not nearly as seaworthy for the conditions.

As for the OP's question, to me working on a boat is great therapy, I quite enjoy it. In fact I'm so crazy I actually just added additional bright work for me to maintain, a custom instrument box over the companionway.

#47 ·
CharlieCobra, is that a Pilot 35 ? Beautiful boat.
Good luck with the refit. I always used Cetol on my brightwork and said that I would use varnish when I retired. Retired early three years ago and have been using Epifanes since. A lot more work but I really do like the look of it.

#48 ·
I like the varnishing part, but the sanding raises caine with my arthritis. I keep our boat "presentable", but definitely not "like-new" shiny. I'm trying to get the "I-just-circumnavigated"-look!:) I'm envious of the people that have them shiny boats, but I'm also a little suspicious of their state of mind!;)

#49 ·
I bought an old boat from the 1960's. My friend advised just sail it, don't worry about making it pretty. It took a couple months to get radio, gps and motor all working reliably. In retrospect it was great advice. Had alot of fun with it this summer.

This winter will send the main to sailcare and am thinking about at least painting the blue non skid. That might be enough pretty for this year.

Rick

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.