SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting a crew position.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Best of luck. If its any help, I can assure you that we have encountered similar problems at times up here in Sydney. I guess some Australian Yacht clubs are based largely around a racing culture, with even cruising being something the racing crew does on Sunday when not racing.....if your not part of the in 'click', it can be hard with bluewater passages often going to the regular tried and proven Saturday race crew.

We have made progress just by persisting. If what you want to do is REAL cruising then I would encourage you to seek out folk in and out of the club that are real cruisers. Get to know them a bit(It helps by reassuring them that in the middle of Bass Strait you won't turn out to be a complete phycopathic freak that is going to turn their cruise into a nightmare), also I have found volunteering/turning up for maintenance days on other peoples boats leaves a great impression while also often providing me with great ideas for my own boat! If no luck at your club, then try on here, there are several aussies here who bluewater cruise, but once again obviously they probably would want to get to know a bit about you guys and what your on about first.

I guess like anything worth pursuing, ( a job, girls etc) there is a lot of rejection you have to get past, but meanwhile out there somewhere is a great boat with a great owner if not several who will be more than willing to share their experience and dreams with likeminded individuals with good attitudes.

We now know several, one guy who comes to mind, is a seasoned, well known Sydney to Hobarter, who has had success in several other bluewater races. When not doing the serious racing he is forever opening his boat up to newcomers through twilights races, social sails, informal training days and yes boat maintenanance days. He is a incredibly generous man who really is inspiring, If you were in Sydney I could probably get you out the heads with him this weekend.

Having said that yes I also know plenty of pricks who own big impressive boats parked out the front of yacht club bars

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook