SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on a new 30-34ft boat
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004

jwall is on a distinguished road
Advice on a new 30-34ft boat

I have recently moved into the Seattle WA area and am looking for some advice on a Sailboat. I have spent a good portion of my life on boats and sailing, but mostly fresh water sailing on the Great Lakes.

The boat range I am looking at is in the 30-34 foot range, mostly because my wife and I have two small children, and I wanted a boat that is not too difficult to get into a slip and manage the sails solo.

I have been looking at New Cruising boats for about 1 month now, and am at the point where I could really use some advice.

Here is where I am at. I have looked at the Catalina 30mkIII, 310 and 32. I have also looked at the Beneteau 323 and 331. I like the Beneteau, but none can be had prior to September of this year. Although I like the boats, I am not impressed by the Beneteau sales organization in WA. To the point where I am considering another boat.

At this point, I am planning on mostly weekend sailing on the Sound. I am not looking into a project boat (which is why I have been looking at new boats).

I have not really looked at too many options other than the Catalina, and would like some advice on going that path vs. the Beneteau..... or maybe I am going in the wrong direction all together.

thanks...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook