SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on a new 30-34ft boat
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004

capttb is on a distinguished road
Advice on a new 30-34ft boat

C&C have good rep & is one of the many I can''t think of now. When you make your purchase there are 101 little to not so little costs go with it, maybe less for new boat but always more than you remember to figure. Don''t forget Documentation ($400 by service, $45 if you can do yourself I think) or state registration, 1 year insurance, marina wants first & last, deposit fo gate cards & dock keys, $40-$50 for bottom clean per month, if new you may need powercords, dock lines, boat hook, locks, covers, dodger, bimini, stuff for in the cabin, charts, radios, brushes, hoses, SPARES of IMPORTANT stuff, good PFD''s for the kids, etc. plus Extras you want on boat from dealer, used is haul-out & survey, probably paint the bottom, zincs, stuffing box, while it''s out and this is mostly just the stuff I can remember. It nice if you can afford to do what you want with the boat after you get it without wondering if maybe the kids really need that college fund. It''s good to have a little boat fund after purchase so you can add the rudder transducer or whatever without breaking a sweat. Speaking of which would be good idea to shop for slips in your area if haven''t already done so, waiting lists are not uncommon.
Tides are a real big factor in your area, good to go with them, sometimes impossible to go against, study tide tables and charts to time days voyages, most I know in that area pretty careful in this regard but not difficult to master with effort
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook