SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for other early 41' sloop classic owners
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008

brisegalets is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to brisegalets Send a message via Yahoo to brisegalets Send a message via Skype™ to brisegalets
Tuning up Papy Jovial

Mine is a Morgan 41 Classic built in 1988, purchased on Jan 24, 2008 in excellent shape.
I am upgrading and preparing her for a circumnavigation starting on May 15 next year, roughly from Norfolk, VA to Panama, Papeete, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Brazil, France and back to the US.
I have given her a new set of sails from North Sails, with a full batten mainsail and a 105 % genoa with a low clew. I also installed a rigid boom vang. I also installed a Monitor Windvane that I have not tried yet.
Inside, I have made many changes both to the furniture and to the electronics in order to prepare for long ocean crossing.
I don't know yet how she will perform. With the new main sail but the old genoa (100% and a high clew) she was doing 135 degrees on the ground between tacks, and almost 8 knots with the wind on the beam and 15 knots of wind.
My main worry is the steering which feels kind of stiff and I wonder if my expensive Monitor Windvane will be able to handle that stiffness even with the hydraulic piston of the Navico autopilot disconnected.
More details can be found on my blog papyjovial.blogspot.com
I would be happy for comments and suggestions.
Bernard Lefevre

Last edited by brisegalets; 11-30-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook