SailNet Community - View Single Post - A4 Carburator gas leak
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Many thanks to both Jim and Paul for replying so quickly.
Jim,
While I know that there are probably more 'hands on' A4 types on the MM forums I find that the pace of responses is a bit faster over here. Over at MM it can get to be a bit like listening to crickets. I may very well post this same question over at MM and probably should but I was mostly fishing for guys like you and especially Paul to reply as I gather by his posts that he seems to know the A4 quite well.
I never did that much actual wrenching on my first (older 60's era) cars but my boat partner did some monkeying and he seems reluctant to tackle the project of taking apart the carb and re-building it which gives me some slight pause before just digging in on this project.
OTOH, I was a software IT guy for 20 years and really love doing hands on mechanical work. I even entertained the idea of becoming a marine surveyor like Paul and took a course in 'Marine Investigations' using the David Pascoe text. Between my boat partner and I we have most, if not all the necessary tools to attempt this. My instincts tell me to do it so that I can learn more about the A4 and at least become more acquainted with the A4 carburator unit (no complete re-builds yet, once I do that I hang up a shingle saying 'A4 mechanic' for sale).

Paul,
Gee. That is exactly the kind of highly technical advice I was looking for that does not often come up on the MM website by someone who has been there and done that: "whack the side of the bowl (between gently and semi-gently... those are technical terms) with the handle end of a decent sized screwdriver." I will try this first. Question: should I whack the carb with a decent sized screw driver while the engine is running? I would think so but I had to ask.
Thanks very much indeed for responding to my questions. I will adjust my next moves accordingly.
Muchos gracias a todos.
CalebD

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook