SailNet Community - View Single Post - coronado 35
Thread: coronado 35
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
With all due respect to Sailing Bum, the Coronado that I installed a thru-hull on in the 1970's had a large amount of non-directional material in the hull, with roving in the outer and near the inner layups as was common on bigger boats that employed chopped glass during that era. One of the guys in the yard at the time had worked at Coronado and he told me that they were using chopper gun material to build up hull thickness and how much he hated using chopper guns. As I noted in my comment, the use of chopped glass varied with the production year, especially since the last ones, which were built by Hughes in Canada, had an entirely updated structural system and lay-up schedule.

The one that I worked on had a non-structural liner that was slurried in place almost randomly rather than tabbed into place and had almost no internal structure except for partial bulkheads near the main companionway, near the head/frd cabin and a transverse frame under the mast jackpost.

Just for the record, balsa coring came into use in the early 1960's. Our 1963 Vanguard had balsa Core decks and my 1965 C&C designed 22 footer had balsa coring in its internal structure. Balsa cored hulls were tried nearly from the beginning of fiberglass boat building, but did not show up that frequently in production boats until the 1970's. Balsa cored hulls are generally stronger but more expensive to build and so rarely show up on value oriented models like the boat in question.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook