SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising with an Outboard
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrmMin View Post
Now to the ? Why > THIS is my route> From Lake Erie to Buffalo New York harbor, out to New York City straight into the coastal water ?? sail to Fla and then around Key west turn north into Gulf of Mexico up to Clear Water FLA. Why can,t I sail 50 miles off shore from New York turning south at 50 miles off shore instead of 200 Miles straight out of NEW YORK and I can,t use my sails eather need to motor first to the Icw point. I can come back into shore turning S/West after I reach North Carolina then I can turn South: or have I heard wrong ?? It,s seem in some threads you are not concerned: seeming that if I go 6.1/2 nots is a long way out .
Several points....
1. Your route is fine till NYC
2. Once you get to NYC...then you go down the Jersey coastline in good weather. There are three inlets there you can pull into if the weather gets bad. You do NOT belong out to sea in that boat...stay coastal. The reason that the motor is so important is that heading south the winds and currents are mostly against you. You CAN tack in and out coastally but you travel twice the distance that way AND you must pay attention to the weather windows.
3. From Cape May NJ...you can go up the Delaware Bay and then use the C&D canal to get to the Chesapeake Bay. This is what MOST people with small boats do. Alternatively you can go down the relatively desolate coastal route with only one good inlet (Ocean City) for a couple of hundred miles till the Chesapeake and the same adverse winds/currents.
4. From Norfolk you then go down the ICW...You don't even THINK about staying offshore and rounding Cape Hatteras. If you want to continue coastal sailing rather than ICW then you go our the Beaufort NC inlet and go inlet to inlet down the coast to Florida in good weather...or simply use the ICW in bad weather.

5. 6.5 kts. in a Pearson 28 is a dream. Figure 4kts. average speed under sail and you'll be lucky to hit it in terms of distance made good at sea.

Get the book...Guide to SE US Inlets by Steve Dodge if you are considering the coastal route and your choices will become much clearer.