SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at Buying a Tartan 30 1976
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgossett View Post
The boat is currently sitting in a backyard on blocks with some minor hull damage on leading edges. Other wise the hull looks decent.

The interior lining has been pulled out, and the majority of the wood has been pulled out. This boat does have a aft galley, diesel, & older wiring.
Unfortunately you don't "buy" a boat like that you take it off someones hands for FREE!

Even if you get it for free it will cost you in multiples of what the same vessel in pristine condition will cost you.

Based on the above description you're looking at a 25-45k boat by the time you're done..

I'm sure I won't be the only one to give this advice but even if it's free you should walk away!! You can buy some nice boats in this economy ready to sail for very, very short money!

In over ten years on various sailing forums I have seen your situaion played out hndreds of times and every time they either give up or spend 500%+ more than they thought they could.

My buddy bought a Catalina 30 for 22k, even though I tried to talk him out of it. He could have bough the same boat in bristol condition, with a brand new diesel engine & sails, for about 25k. He now has close to 45k into a boat that is still only worth about 20-22k on a good day...

Unless you have unlimited time & money to burn and you really prefer working on boats, rather than sailing them, don't ever buy a boat that was someone elses unfinished project cause it's a no win situation!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-17-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook