SailNet Community - View Single Post - Volvo Penta diesel mechanics in the Norfolk, VA area?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008

firehoser75 is on a distinguished road
Agree with Rockter

I have a Volvo engine in my boat. I have experienced the extremely high parts prices, but also the lack of availability of parts. This summer, my engine (at 700-750 hours) suffered 2 different breakdowns. The first one was when the freshwater pump pulley broke in half. Due to the fact that there was no wind that day, I was towed in. During the tow, I phoned the mechanic and he tried to find a new pump (in case we needed it) and a new pulley. Both had to come from Europe (we didn't order the pump as it was not needed).
Later in the summer, the engine had a total failure when a nut came off one of the con rods resulting in severe damage to the crankshaft (there is another post on this site for this one). For this repair, several of the parts had to come from Europe. Each time the part had to come from Europe, there was additional freight charged.
Volvo Canada has not exactly been good with their customer support.
My advise, avoid Volvo if you can.
Good luck,
Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook