SailNet Community - View Single Post - A4 Carburator gas leak
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Thanks Kiskadee and Paul.
I have not idea when our carb. was last cleaned so I think it is time to bite the bullet and just do it. Besides, if I really butter finger something I can always ship/take it to someone who can 'theoretically' fix it for pizzles of money. It is the theoretical part that makes me want to do it myself so I know it is working properly even if I have to struggle a bit the first time. Between this forum on the one over at MMI I can get a wealth of information from folks like you who have been there and done that (in some cases many times before).
I have an uncle who was a fly-boy in WW II who taught me that the pilots of that era used to use ether a lot to help minimizing the varnishing of their carburators as they really depended on their engines. For this reason I keep a can of starting fluid on our boat which I rarely have to use (spring or really cold startup). I also spray this into the flame arrestor/intake which could also be complicating matters.
In short, you have all convinced me that it is time to take the carburator off and clean the flame arrestor and entire carb and clean/service/re-assemble as this is the time to do it.
It seems as though I also need to check the exhaust system for blockages and back-pressure which can also cause sooty plugs and poor performance. My gut feeling is that our engine works quite well when the hull and prop are clean and the plugs are fresh. It is just all these old systems that are supposed to work together to keep the engine healthy that start to worry me a bit when I think about going on a longer distance cruise.
After I remove and fix the carb. I need to put in a new centrifugal bilge pump as we used to have a diaphragm pump that crapped out. I tried cleaning and applying the service kit for one of these Jabsco pumps (cost more than a Rule pump) with no success to report. That was discouraging but I really think I can do the carb. clean/service/rebuild thanks to your encouragement. Just because you have not done something before does not mean that you cannot do it - it just means that you have not tried.
Thanks again for all your input and I will be typing with black crud under my fingernails soon!

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook