Battery Charging Question
My Oday 25 came with a small (~4"x6") battery charger which remains permanently connected to the battery. It claims to be "fully automatic". One year ago, I bought a new marine battery (nothing extraordinary, just a $50 marine battery) and it is now dead, or at least a few cells are dead. The charger is always hot to the touch even when there has been no load on the battery. When I leave the boat, I always turn the battery selector switch to "off", but the charger is still always hot when I return. I know this is very limited info, but......Questions:
Should I expect a battery to last longer than one year?
Is this a cheap unreliable charger which has burned up my battery prematurely?