SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any guitar players aboard?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008

Cruisingdreamspress is on a distinguished road
I carried a‘beater guitar’ on my solo voyage around the world. I often sang enthusiastically (and loudly in my lonely hours.) Loved the fun of it. I also enjoyed singing Tom Dooley, Down in the Valley and other ‘great’ tunes to fellow cruisers when I reached shore for they always applauded although, in hindsight, I recall no one ever asked for an encore. Still, I enjoyed the show bus life.

My show bus career, however, ended one evening in a remote lagoon in Fiji. Reality, as often happens, is made crystal clear by the honesty of children. I had invited a Fijian family to my boat, ‘Mika,’ and after dinner I, of course, brought out my guitar. I thought Down in the Valley went well but in the middle of Tom Dooley, Una, the 8 year old daughter, began to fidget. Her expression looked pained. I feared a sour stomach caused by my rich dinner.

Una, snuggled close to her mother in Mika’s cockpit, and tugged at her mothers blouse to get her attention.’ Mama,’ she whispered several times. And several times her mother signaled her to be quiet and to listen. I continued. ‘Hang down your head Tom…’ ‘Mama, Mama,’ said Una, more urgently. ‘Una,’ said her mother, a bit irritated, ‘what is it?’

‘Mama…when is he gonna STOP?’
38 feet
S/V Mika Photos on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cruisingdreamspress; 12-04-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook