SailNet Community - View Single Post - A4 Carburator gas leak
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
OK. So after getting a late start on this project in a light rain I managed to get the carburator disconnected from the engine despite the Moyer Marine Manual. The MMI A4 manual tells you how to dis-assemble the carburator but not how to disconnect it from the engine so I:
- disconnected the choke adjusting wire from the lever
- disconnected the throttle adjusting wire from it's lever
- disconnected the fuel input from the fuel pump, AND
- removed the two bolts that hold the whole assembly in place and it came apart quite easily (no gasket at this intersection!).
I wrapped the whole assembly in an oil pad and put it in a 5 gal. bucket and took it to my friends garage to follow the dis-assembly instructions in the MMI A4 manual.
I followed the instructions and managed to get the upper and lower sections separated but not without killing the old gasket. There was some varnish in the carb and some build up in a few low spots but it seemed pretty clean to me after spraying that carb-cleaner through all the jets, passages and cleaning as many surfaces as I could find. I was looking for a blockage of some kind but could not find anything obvious.
The only section of the dis-assembly I had trouble with was removing the choke butterfly valve and shaft. The screws for this are so up the throat of the carb that it seemed rather difficult to undo the screws and replace them. I did not have this problem with the throttle butterfly valve as the access is quite good. I decided to leave the choke assembly alone as it was not the likely source (I thought) for a gas leak.
The flame arrestor did seem to have a black line at the bottom as if much of the 'varnishy' gas had been leaking out through it. The 'varnish' I did find was of a dark gray color which matched the stain on the flame arrestor bottom area. I can now say that I have cleaned my carburator but I can't say that I have successfully found the source of my gas leak. I will have to next inspect the fuel pump as long as the carb is still off the engine waiting for a new gasket before being put back on. I could still apply the MMI service kit and replace the jets/screws/nuts etc. but they all seemed to be in pretty good shape.
My hands do smell like gas a bit, even after a couple of washings but I was glad that I did remove and clean the carb. Thanks to all who have been so encouraging and supportive. I appreciate all you have said.
(pictures to follow).
CalebD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine-prior-to-remove-carb.jpg (44.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Carb-pre-removal.jpg (44.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Carb-throttle-clutch-disengaged.jpg (48.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Carb-on-bench.jpg (44.6 KB, 40 views)

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 12-04-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: adding photos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook