SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol Channel Cutters
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Bristol Channel Cutters

Given his goals for a heavy displacement for its length, full length keel, traditional looks, and lots of wood on deck, (which could not be more opposite to the boat that I would recommend for his purposes on any count) I am not sure what I would recommend for him.

There are alot of boats out there that might suit the needs and tastes of the original poster. For example, to one degree or another, boats like the Baba 30 & 35, Bayfield 36, Bluewater 30, Cheoy Lee Clipper 36, Hans Christian 34, H28, Hinterhoeler Niagara 35, Mason 33, Morris Justine 36, Rafiki 35, Southern Cross 35, Southern Cross 31, Valiant 32 and Westsail 32 offer many of the attributes that he is looking for within his price range. (Of the boats on that list I would probably be inclined towards the Morris Justine.) There are a whole lot more ''character boats'' out there that I am sure I have not mentioned. Few are as true to the original working watercraft as the Bristol Cahnnel Cutters.

I am probably the wrong person to ask about boats like these. Although I have owned wooden originals of boats like these (a 1939 Stadel Pilot Cutter and a 1949 Folkboat) I really think that going offshore in boats like these in this day and age is a total anathema to me.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook