SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coast Guard Documentation?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Has anyone done this themselves recently that can go into details on the steps they took. I'm looking for a bit of direction on all the forms to fill out for a new boat I'm buying. Please PM me...thanks!
Doing it at the moment. Visit the U.S. Coast Guard website and donwload the instructions and forms.

United States Coast Guard - Home Page

There is a big difference between transferring documentation on a currently or previously documented boat (easy) vs. documenting a boat for the first time (less easy).

There are instructions on the end pages of these form pdfs.

Fill out form CG-1258A (This one is tough to find in their library unless you search for the name) http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/forms/cg1258.pdf

If a mortgage IS involved you need the lender's sign-off (CG-4593)
http://www.uscg.mil/forms/cg/CG_4593.pdf

If a mortgage WAS involved a "Satisfaction of Mortgage" letter from the bank assures a clear title - the CG will return the original.

You need a bill of sale (CG-1340 or a similar form)

A clear title (state form - varies by state)

And you'll need to send a check or credit card info - cost will be $100 to $150 depending on the number of forms & pages you end up sending.

If the boat has never been documented search up a documented model similar boat and use the displacement figures for that vessel.

If you know someone who has a boat like yours (model & year) you can search here for the statistics bt vessel name or documentation number.

Office of Science and Technology

And in doing the above you save yourself $300 to $450 or so by not having to pay an agent to process your request.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook