SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter Covers?
Thread: Winter Covers?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaga05 View Post
I just got through building a similar frame out of PVC about a week ago. I used three way Y's for the peak so that I had a vertical to support the load as well as rafters to the side. I then put a T on the stem of the Y at right angles and attached a ridge pole between the uprights. I solved the problem of diagonal bracing by using four guy ropes going back down to the stantion bases from the top of each frame. The frames were 3-4 feet apart. I used heavier tarps though, the blue ones are cheaper, but they usually shred in a couple of seasons. I was very pleased with the result, with the dodger down you can move around on the deck quite easily, and all hatches etc. are easy to get to. I uploaded a photo to my gallery in case you would like to take a look. Good luck, and don't breath the fumes from the PVC cement!

http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/.../ppuser/129165
otega,

Nice construction you've done. How is it working out?

I'm planning on 1.5 inch PVC for the ridge pole, then 1" PCV coming down from it every 5 feet. They connect using a T that is 1.5 inches at the ends and 1" at the middle.

I'm also thinking about building-in an overhang, king of like the number "4", wjere the slanted part of the 4 keeps slanting up to the ridge pole. This is to keep the rain off the deck and allow ventilation.

Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook