SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chapman School of Seamanship
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
Chapman School of Seamanship

Kind of a long and round about story but it boils down to this. I have a chance to go to Stuart Florida where I have a friend that lives. I am thinking of staying there for a few months and going to the school there for sailing/boating. I have checked around and I can't find anything negative about the school. My friend said I do not want to live in the school housing but I did not plan to anyway.

My goal is to be able to get more experience on ships and maybe even find a paid crew position(even short term). I was debating between the professional and the recreational class. They seem similer but the pro is 3 weeks or so longer. I already have the asa classes so have a little background in some of the classes.

I have a couple of questions:
Anything negative about the school? I know its a personal thing and I would likely choose the Annapolis school except the weather is not so good there and I know no one.
Would the professional mariner course set be better and give me a better chance of finding a paid position? Or is it more about experience and personality? Do certifications help? I see people talking on here about how everyone has a 6-pack license so its not such a big deal.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook