SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heavy Weather Sailing
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Val,

When doing the Frankenstein shuffle to the bow what are you doing with your tether? Do you run jack lines between the mast and forward cleats? I'm still trying to figure out the safety approach when going from the cockpit to the bow.

Thanks man.
On my C&C racer-cruiser, I run two 1/2" lines from the cockpit to the bow in snaky weather, but usually only when I'm alone. Then I just stick to the high side.

On my steel boat, I don't have standard stanchions and lifelines...I have 30" tall pipe rails and handholds in various spots...it's a lot harder to fall off, the anti-skid is better, and the cambered deck actually means I'm walking flatter on the high side when heeled than when running flat. I will probably rig flat webbing for the open sea, plus rig (via through bolting or straight welding) a few pad eyes to clip on out on the helm deck, which on my bigger boat resembles a mini poop deck, being higher in the stern than the foredeck.

An upcoming job is bolting in SS handholds in various spots, particularly to and from the pilothouse. I got lucky and found a plumbing shop going out of business and scored a box of assorted "bathtub rails" that will very much do the trick.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook