SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoringing techniques
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
I have read about placing to anchors in series for better holding during high winds. How/where do you attach the add on anchor? I remember it was descibed I think on Cruising Mag but I didn't get it.
Val..luckily I read all forums..eheheheh

Brokesailor..(now that's a funny name!!)...

If you read and do everything you read here, you will endup sailing a Cabo Rico or a Valiant built in 1234 B.C., with no sails (sailing is dangereous, and those don't sail anyway)..with 3 extra hulls, 12 bbq's, a brand new 3200HP Caterpillar engine, and be freightfull of sailing for the rest of your life...

read this bellow....and go anchor with a tandem set up...AT LEAST TRY IT YOURSELF...DO IT....I have beed doing it for over 20 years and am still here..fishing vessels in my country do it since the time of Vasco da Gama...

I wrote this HERE

I anchor many many times in a place called Culatra Island, here in Portugal.

It has 3 to 5 knot currents twice a day, in both directions.

I have been using the tandem method here, for over 20 years, and never draged once. Do it only one anchor I don't care what anchor.....and bye bye...

I use a smaller Danforth anchor (14kg) with 10 feet of rope, attached to the "head" of my main anchor, a 28Kg plow, then chain, then rope. Here is what everyone uses, or you're dragging all the time.

Works for me, and for the others. Our bottom is mud / sand / weed.

Some say its a disater waiting to happen (specially Craig Smith of Rocna, but he is he, and I am me....,) if the smaller first anchor rolls around the primary as the boat circles with the current. So far in over 20 years no problem what so ever.

I do it.

Here is a drwing

then go HERE

HERE
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook