SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are there so few sailboats in the Pamlico sound?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2004

SailVicEC is on a distinguished road
Why are there so few sailboats in the Pamlico sound?

Hello all:

I am relocating to the East Coast and can''t wait to start sailing again. I have two options, one is Richmond VA and the other is near Raleigh NC.

Obviously the Richmond opportunity would offer better access to the Cheasapeak Bay (though Norfolk VA is within 2.5 hrs drive from where I would be in N Carolina). What about sailing the Pamlico Sound? I took a feery across it to Oakracoke and it looked like a wonderful sailing area but i didn''t even see one boat out (this was on the 9th), lots of dolphins though). Infact I drove all the way up the outer banks to Corolla and saw very few sailing boats in any of the marinas? I was told that the sound is very shallow and full of uncharted sand banks. I assume this is the reason? Is there more sailing going on further south near Atlantic beach and new bern (only an hour and a half from where I would be in NC)?

I should mention that I would be sailing a Catamaran with no more than a 24inch draw.

From purely a sailing standpoint is there a compelling arguement to be made for Richmond over Raleigh(my schedule is not a M-F 9-5 but pretty much completely flexible)?

Is there much sailing to speak of down in NC?

What about using the area off shore of the outer banks as a training ground for future ocean sailing?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook