SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello from the Canadian Prairies!
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiscesGirl View Post
Not exactly known for our sailing, but a dream has to start somewhere

A little about myself - I am a total noob when it comes to sailboating; I can barely swim. But my hubby has always dreamed of owning a sailboat and doing some long trips. Therefore, I am determined to get off my landlubber butt and get into the water. Problem is, I know nothing about sailing. I'm trying to do some research online but thus far, I've been distracted by some of the boat manufacturers and their slick websites I'm such a girl

Anywho, just wanted to stop in and say HI and learn as much as I can about sailboating and probably ask lots of questions.....my first being: is this an expensive hobby???? (an no one quote me JP Morgan's "If you have to ask, you cant afford it" bit.....cuz I'm asking anyways!)

Cheers,
PiscesGirl aka PG
Hello from another Prairie Sailor (Calgary)

There are lots of us. Calgary has three yacht clubs, plus a few sailing organizations like the Foothills Association of Cruising Sailors. Many of the boats in the charter fleets in BC belong to prairie folks. Much of the charter clientele is also from prairies.

As an instructor, I am often asked why I live in Calgary. My standard answer is "this is where my clients are."

The is an old adage that if you want to expereince racing vicariously, stand in a cold shower and tear up $100 bills. That appllies to big boat racing, rather than what you might do.

Sailing can be as expensive as you wish to make. There is a large fleet of San Juan 21's in Calgary that race every Wednesday during the summer. As a "vintage" boat they are not expensive to own or maintain. If you want to sail "for free" they are always looking for crew.
Which part of the prairies are you in? I can give you names of some clubs which can help you.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook