SailNet Community - View Single Post - Strange rumors about Belize being anti-American...
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004

benlolson is on a distinguished road
Strange rumors about Belize being anti-American...

Please forgive me if this question is completely out of line, but I just got off the phone with a friend of a friend who gave me some strange information about Belize. We are planning to charter for two weeks in early August this summer and I was relaying prices/plans with my friend when his buddy got on the phone and started talking about how there have been instances of kidnapping of Americans in Belize recently. I completely didn''t believe him, and actually got a little angry for even hearing it at all.

According to him, his parents are acquaintances of the US ambassadors to Belize, and they would not recommend any Americans going to Belize because of their "inside information" about locals targeting "rich Americans."

It seems that if that were truly the case, there would be more information about it... there would be news stories or posts on this message board, or SOMETHING to indicate that a dangerous situation like that was happening. I have looked around quite a bit in the past hour, and have found nothing to indicate the rumors were true at all.

Has anyone heard of anything that can validate these stupid rumors? I have heard nothing but good things about the people of Belize and that the sailing is absolutely incredible. As it stands now, I don''t take anything that dipshit said as truth until I find some proof to back his story up. I''m not going to let him ruin my trip.

I appreciate any input, one way or another -

-Ben
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook