SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau V Beneteau 50 & 51 ft.
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004

BRIANHOL62 is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau V Beneteau 50 & 51 ft.

I owned an I50 for 8 years and just sold it last year, made me cry to do it but she was coming out of charter and I was completely even on earnings versus cost and to bring it home in October would have cost me customs, sales tax, insurance for the trip in Hurricane season and a delivery crew. The boat was immaculate in every respect, had been a Moorings charter boat for all the years I owned it and the captain kept it in almost new condition. As to sailing it, my wife and I would almost always give the crew leave and take the boat ourselves. She was very easy to handle with a crew of two and did not require us to shorten sail till the wind got up over about 20 kts. We took her to St. Maartin and St Barths etc. We often saw 10 knots with the Assymetrical up in about 18 knots of wind. We were never passed by a Benneteau 50. Having an autopilot helped on long sails and made it easy for me to tack her alone. Selling her may have been the worst decision of my life, but a charterer loved her and planned to sail her to South Africa with his family. I will always remember the great sailing trip and I think I will always miss her. We sold her for 160K and there were others on the market for 170 to 180 that had not sold in months. I guess the fact that I had broken even in the charter business, a rare thing, led me astray. Let me know if you find one and tell me what you think. All of the Moorings I50''s were crewed yachts but that was not the same for the Sun Sail 52.2. We also had full batten sails with Harken Batslides and a boom furl system. Extremely easy for one person at the mast to drop the main and the Jenny could be pulled in deck easier than in the cockpit. The UK Flasher assymetrical had a sock to make it easy to stow. If you would like any additional info email me direct at brianhollenbeck@att.net. Good Luck

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook