SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are there so few sailboats in the Pamlico sound?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004

SailVicEC is on a distinguished road
Why are there so few sailboats in the Pamlico sound?

Thanks for all the replies and the links. I am so excited at the prospect of doing some real cruising around the sound and the outer banks and eventually further afield. I appreciate the info about the fish kills as it prompted me to do some research into the matter and it seems that what kills the fish is not pollution per se but low levels of dissolved oxygen (caused by algae growth rather than by toxic chemicals, in fact from what I read it seems the Chesapeake is far more polluted than the NC sounds) and fresh water run off after hurricanes and other high rainfall events.

I have been to Washington and saw that there was a marina there and but I have yet to drive down to New Bern or Oriental, I was just surprised to see NO sail boats in the crossing from Swan to Oakracoke.

No fog, no current, and light commercial traffic sounds like a good place to learn to sail and I am far more in to quiet beautiful anchorages than the cocktail at the dock scene, though it would be very cool to socialize with people who enjoy cruising.

I will contact those of you in NC when I am settled if that is OK.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook