SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stoves - pressurized alcohol or propane, which is better?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
The regulars on this board who love their propane cooking systems have undoubtedly done A LOT of research with propane storage, installation and leakage alarms and installed their system accordingly. It is very possible and great, I'm sure, but not easy or something you should do casually.
I wouldn't feel comfortable with propane w/o a properly-designed, dedicated propane locker. IIUC: "Properly-designed" includes venting at the bottom to mitigate against a propane leak in the locker, which means it has to be entirely above the waterline. (Have a friend that had their boat retrofitted with a propane locker by having a stern lazarette converted. Unfortunately, in a following sea...) We have a place on the starboard side of the boat where we could conceivably have such a thing done, and the locker would end-up right next to and behind the galley. But we haven't the money for that now and, TBH, probably never will have. So...

Quote:
If you are looking for a simple, easy and relatively safe cooking set-up I'd scrap both the propane and pressurized alcohol systems and go for UN-pressurized alcohol.
That's the way we'll go.

Quote:
It is very easy to cook with, boils water just about as fast as pressurized alcohol ...
Most comments I've read say faster.

As per an earlier comment: I would not predicate my purchase based on the stove included, unless all else was equal. (Which is unlikely in the extreme.) I would make damn certain my surveyor really understood propane installations, what was required for them on a boat, and inspected the thing in excruciating detail. If you've got two boats of about the same age and the same make and model, odds are good the propane installation was a retrofit.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook