SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello, I'm new to this forum and need advice
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008

jmw is on a distinguished road
Hello, I'm new to this forum and need advice

Hi all,

I sail on the Chesapake Bay. After years of being a "passenger" on sail boats, two years ago, I broke free and started actually learning how to sail. You guessed it, I'm a woman. I have sailed and been crew on larger sail boats with others in the BVIs, in the Med, and the Florida Keys. I also sail with others as crew on little sailboats without auxilliary engine in Baltimore Harbor. This past sailing season I started single-handing a 19 ft. pocket cruiser with a venerable 4.5 HP outboard but have only done day sails. My plan this coming sailing season is to do solo weekend and long weekend trips on the Bay. This coming sailing season,I also want to spend more time cruising and hanging out on a boat, so I am thinking it would be good find a boat that would be more comfortable, but still easy to sail by myself. My goal is to liveaboard, at least part of the year. I'm thinking a boat in the size range of 25 to 35 ft might be manageable. I need advice from people who liveaboard or spend a lot of time on their boats. I also will need TONS of advice on maintaining boat systems- especially outboards and engines.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook