The fuel I use (and that's creating the flame in the pictures) is Denatured Alcohol from any ACE hardware store. I would have to use a LOT of it to get obnoxious fumes. Even when I over primed it for the pictures, the fumes were not bad, and I have a sensitive sense of smell. When I prime the stove properly, the flame is about an inch tall. You wouldn't know anything was burning if you were in the salon. I can't even attribute that to the stove as, priming is of course, burning alcohol in liquid form. If you are getting those nasty eye watering, chocking alcohol fumes while priming or cooking using ACE fuel, I think you need to service (or throw away) your stove.