My Boat Is Sinking...............
This is purely hypothetical:
I'm 100 miles off-shore, in a perfectly outfitted boat that is in perfect condition, with an expertly trained, experienced crew of 3 people. A freak gale pops up out of nowhere, no warning, as we have been monitoring our weather reports constantly. Suddenly we crash into a submerged cargo container at the exact moment a lightning bolt strikes our mast and brings down our rigging. Our hull is breached from the cargo container and a pod of whales is compounding the damage by ramming us repeatedly. We decide to abandon ship on our perfectly provisioned life-raft. We have food, water, satellite phone, VHF, Epirbs, first aid kit and an i-pod. We radioed a pan-pan to let anyone know our predicament. We feel relatively safe in our life-boat despite 30ft. seas and 60mph winds.
Do we activate our epirbs immediately or do we wait until conditions to calm down so that SAR do not have to be deployed in extreme and dangerous conditions?
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, Wisdom is better than silver and gold"----Bob Marley
100T Master NC