SailNet Community - View Single Post - Columbia 22 mast
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 12-13-2008
I took down the 35 foot, 100 lb mast on my Etap 26 a few weeks ago, by myself. I made an A frame from two 2x4s joined at the top by a large T hinge, about $20 total. I stood it on the bow of the boat, tied the bottom ends of the 2x4s to the toe rail. I used a 5/8" dock line from a shackle on the stem fitting where the jib attaches to a shackle in a bolt hole on the T hinge. That line takes all the load. I used two ratchet straps to pull the A frame aft slightly, making a tripod of lines keeping it solidly in place. I then used my whisker pole to hook a line over the spreaders. I attached my mainsheet to the bolt hole on the side facing the mast, using a shackle. Then I hooked it to the line over the spreaders. I disconnected the stays and pushed the mast over towards the stern. I just payed out the mainsheet until the mast was resting on a pair of crossed 2x4s at the stern. I then hooked the mainsheet to the mast directly under the A-frame, lifted the mast, and walked the mast forward until it would sit on the bow pulpit. The boat was in the water!
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome