SailNet Community - View Single Post - help with lifes dream
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2004

SailVicEC is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

Thanks for the advice Jeff and I didn''t feel like you were picking on me I was apologizing for not making it clear that I really didn''t know what I was talking about from experience and was just repeating what I had read.

You mentioned that some of the big crusing Cats have capsized and sunk in recent years, are you talking about the big racing cats or actual crusing cats? All the cat sales people keep emphasizing that there is no recorded case of a crusing cat in the 45-50ft range having capsized.

Do you know if there is a marine equivalent to the climbing accident review? I.e. a repository of all marine accidents? In climbing these are good to read as they provide a real insight in to what can go wrong and what to avoid in order to stay safe on the rock and in the mountains. In sailing I imagine it would provide an insight in to the types of boats that do well in a blow and those that don''t and what things to specifically check and reinforce before going off shore.

I think that in the end you are probably right, the only way to really know which one one prefers is to try both but I really thought from what I have read that the Cat had the edge in both capsize and sinking in extreme weather. Also the I was under the impression that he loads generated on a cat are substantially lower than those on a monhull becasue of the usually smaller sail area for boat length.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook