SailNet Community - View Single Post - help with lifes dream
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2004

saltydawg is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

Wow, Kimby, I think you should pretend you never read that little swipe. I have to say I actually earn my full time living (and a good living I should say) as a writer. But it''s CERTAINLY not reflected in random message board posts as I dash out little bits between real world work. PLEASE. I''d just as soon correct your spelling on a chat board as I would correct your grammar over the VHF radio.

Anyhow, I am only half awake at present, so this won''t go far... but I know that Lloyds of London has a large cash reward out for anyone that can give them a photo of a cruising catamaran flipped over. Nobody has collected on the prize yet. We PERSONALLY know of many cats who have hit underwater objects (reef, rock, something) and punched a hole in their bow or somewhere and were still able to get to port afloat to make the repair because of the watertight bulkheads many cats are built with. Holing a mono would have you on the bottom in about 90 seconds.
True, it''s more sail by numbers than by feel and heel, but you just learn a different set of senses. If you exercise good seasmanship and heed the weather, you will be just as safe in a cat as in any well built off shore vessel. As with all production boats there are bluewater cats and not so bluewater cats, and that''s a whole different discussion. But do your homework as it seems you already are, GET OUT ON SOME CATS, sail them yourself rather than listening to idiots like us, and decide what feels right for you. The important thing is to get out there and cruise and give your children an amazing experience.
We''ll see you out there and speak incorrectly to each other while we sip margaritas at anchor in 3 feet of water
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook