SailNet Community - View Single Post - Albin Marine Nimbus 42
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Albin Marine Nimbus 42

Albin was a very high quality Scandinavian boat builder. They built highly regarded trawlers and performance oriented sailboats. They eventually were bought out and the name applied to a Taiwanese built line of boats that lacked the higher quality of the earlier boats. I am not sure at where the Nimbus was constructed.

Kaufman and Ladd was a partnership of Mike Kaufman 410 263 8900 and Rob Ladd 410 268 9194. During their partnership they were know for producing higher performance racer-cruisers. They both seem to be very conscious of proper engineering and have a nice eye. Both Mike and Rob are still yacht designers practicing in Annapolis although no longer afiliated with each other. I know them both and I imagine that either would be willing to spend a few moments talking to you should you decide to look at the boat.

The Nimbus itself was a pretty high performance racer/cruiser for its era. They seemed to be solidly built and sailed well. While am not a big fan of their IOR proportioned sail plan, the one that I was aboard had very robust hardware and a nice deck plan. They were sort of ''poor man''s Swans'' and so had many of the idiosyncrasies found in Swans of that era, such as the companionway that was not in the cockpit. Frankly placing the companionway forward is a pain in the butt if the boat has a dodger.

The one that I was aboard had teak decks which for me would be an automatic deal killer, especially on a boat of that age.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook