SailNet Community - View Single Post - help with lifes dream
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2004

bob-m is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

kimby

I think it is wonderful that you and your husband plan/dream of tasking your kids on what will surely be an adventure of a life time. My wife and I cruised fulltime for 12 years and met many "families" doing the same.

I would like to stress several points that will help make your dream/plan a reality.

1- DO NOT take the advise of other dreamers. The reality of spending years cruising is far different from the dream. Listen to those that have been there.

2-The ONLY way to determine what type or size boat YOUR family will need is through experience. You will not get it from a book or from the advise of others. Example: If you have read any of the Sailnet archives, you will see that Jeff H is a wealth of information. He has forgotten more than I will ever know about yacht design and boat systems. BUT, after 12 years of cruising, my opinion of what makes a good cruising sailboat is totally different from Jeff''s. Neither one of us is right, nor are we wrong. EVERYONE uses their boat differently. What works for one family of 5 will not work for another family of 5. This doesn''t mean that you can''t learn from someone who is "living their dream", just keep in mind that it is THEIR dream. You MUST get experience on the water with your family to determine what works for you. After 12 years of cruising my wife and I still can not agree on what make the perfect boat for the 2 of us.

3-Understand that your view of what is best for your family will be constantly changing. The more experience you have, the more your views will evolve.

Good luck with your plans!!! They are possible!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook