SailNet Community - View Single Post - Valiant Blister History?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2001

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Valiant Blister History?

Got the fire retardant resin mixture deal. Question is whether the resultant blisters, apparently affecting "most" Valiants in years circa ''76 to - don''t remember - see VOG website - are fundamentally cosmetic or could represent a serious structural flaw in the laminate (or potential future flaw). Do these hulls get wet osmotically as a result of the "possible" relationship of the fire retardant to increased blister problems? Do they get "dry" to the point of structural problems? Are there serious voids behind the blisters? I''ve been convinced to just say no to the Taiwan boats, although many are gorgeous and sound, and would like to investigate the Valiant 40 a little further. Seems to have the beef, handling and room that we need. Could I, knowing pretty much what I''m doing, grind, dry, fill and epoxy a "typically blistered" Valiant without spending a zillion on a "peel"? Are the deck blisters I''ve heard about a huge problem or generally readily repairable? Osmosis I can gauge and deal with. This sounds like migration, pooling and disappation of a chemical that wasn''t compatible with the resin in the laminate. Please explain or point to someone who can. Sailing Maine next week for a couple. Then back to the VI grind for the summer. KW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook