SailNet Community - View Single Post - Babas? +/-''s
Thread: Babas? +/-''s
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Babas? +/-''''s

I have spent a fair amount of time on Westsail 32s, I even helped a fellow who was building one. While I have owned a number of traditional boats in my day, I have never owned a Westsail 32 and probably would not own one on a bet. To be frank, I personally really dislike these boats in almost all ways. While there is a whole group of folks who seem to love these boats, I am not one of them. They sail extremely poorly by any objective standard and I own sailboats because I like to sail. I especially don''t like the way they sail in heavy going or a chop. These boats have a tremendous amount of weight and a tremendous amount of drag relative to their stability which means carrying a lot more sail that I would prefer in heavy going and still not being able to claw off a leeshore.

Then again, I also consider any boat with a sail tacked to a bowsprit to be an affection rather than a safe offshore boat, but that is just my personal take having tried to wrestle a jib off the end of a bowsprit while teabagging into and out of waves in a blow. It is the lethal quality of these things that lead 19th century sailors to call bowsprits "Widowmakers" and early 20th century offshore work boats to abandon bowsprits.

As to the Westsail interior layouts, they varied all over the place in design, quality and weight. There was a semi-standard factory layout but I can''t say that I have been on two that had the same layout as each other. Some of the layouts that I have seen are good offshore layouts, quite workable and simple. But not exactly ideal for living aboard. Others have had some very silly layouts that have left me wondering what the person was thinking when they built out that boat.

With regards to the Baba 30, I basically like most of Perry''s work but can''t even begin to understand why someone would think that the Baba 30 was even a remotely half way decent idea. If nothing else the teak decks would be a deal killer for me.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook