Join Date: Jul 2003
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Looking to buy a boat in the DC area and have some questions
My wife and I are beginner sailors interested in buying our first boat. Up until now we have rented boats and been part of sailing clubs. Most of the boats we have sail on have learned and sailed on have been around 18 ft or so. We live in the Washington DC area and plan on sailing on the Potomac River and tailoring the boat to the Chesapeake Bay on occasion. We are planning on buying a used boat and can spend between $5-$8.5K. We have a few questions and could use your all advice:
1) What is the best way to shop for a boat? Where are the best boat listings?
2) Recommendations on any dealers that deal in smaller boats?
3) Internet websites always seem so outdated and not too many local boats listed, anyone know of websites with good current lists of boats?
4) Can anyone recommend some trusted surveyors in the area?
5) Of the boats we looked at so far we like the Precision 18 and 21. Is the Precision 18 big enough to sail the Chesapeake safely or would it be better to sail the 21? That being said, will the precision 21 sail as well in the lighter airs of the Potomac River?
6) Any other recommendations on boats we should be looking at? From what I have been reading so far, I think I would like a Shoal/draft keel boat. The Potomac gets real shallow in places. We plan on keeping the boat for several years and would like something we could grow into.
7) Probably most important, any questions of concerns I have not mentioned that I should be thinking about?
I know these are a lot of questions but I always see the great advice you guys give on here, would love some help with all this.