SailNet Community - View Single Post - Radar on the Mast Track??
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
I’ve been thinking about your radar mounting idea and I have a couple of thoughts that you might want to consider. I’m not sure that having a xmitter that you can raise and lower is that important. The transmitters are pretty maintenance free and the likelihood that you would need to service on a regular basis is practically non-existent. I can raise and lower my stern pole, but I do it mainly so I can easily wax the raydome. Whereas a spinnaker pole is places a sideways compression load on the track, a raydome will not, and be subject to back and forth “sway” forces. The permanent mounts brace for this by being mounted on the side of the mast and not in front. I have not heard of any off-the-shelf T-track type mounts that you could use so you would have to do a custom installation. Probably more money than it is worth. I had a mast mount on my old boat and one thing that was really good was a SS guard. I was amazed at the number of times our 135 would try to get caught between the dome and mast. Saved my bacon (or was it my radar) on more than one occasion. (I even knocked off a loud hailer horn that was mounted under the guard once.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook