SailNet Community - View Single Post - woman singlehanders
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I would like to add my welcome as well to JMW and Judy. I love to see more of us out there especially single handling the boat. As far as docking the boat, I too have no problems calling the marina for "For all hands on Deck with hooks!" to help get my boat into the slip when the winds get a little nasty out of the wrong direction. When no help is available, my dock and boat have lots of fenders/bumpers to help squeeze her in. Just take it nice and slow. Also, always have a plan on exactly what you are going to do in all wind directions and current. I have written mine out in my play book. The best thing you can learn is how to spring in/out of your slip if your dock set-up allows it. In addition, at least once a month do power drills on your boat to understand how she handles turning to port/starboard and backing up in both directions using the motor. When the winds are strong, greater than 10 knots, this is especially important to do them to see how the bow swings or doesn't. Some boats takes greater speed going backward to get the rudder effective and overcome both prop walk and wind pressure on the bow. Practice makes perfect in understanding your boat capabilities.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook