SailNet Community - View Single Post - What should I have done?
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 06-05-2004 Thread Starter
cmendoza

What should I have done?

Thanks Denr, I appreciate the feedback.
I agree. It bugs the hell out of me to depend on the engine. That''s one reason I posted the message. I figured at least a couple of people would have some suggestions that didn''t involve the engine. I''ll be sure to try your suggested sequence next time I have enough of a breeze out there.

To your point, last September, my wife and I were just about to turn onto our approach to home (Haverstraw Marina) at around 11:00 PM when the engine died. Naturally, it was raining, the weather was nasty and we were going against the current!

Anyway, after a number of expletives and several failed attempts to re-start (as we start to drift down river right towards the huge green buoy G25), it occurred to me that the SV in SV Rocinante stood for sailing vessel! I unfurled about 5-6 feet of the jib and slowly guided her into the marina and gently put her in her slip. OK, so the anchor did hit the dock-box, but all in all not bad. I don’t have to tell you I was proud as all hell that I got her home under sail.

Thanks again for the great advise,

Carlos
SV Rocinante

Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome