SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living aboard with kids
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2004

seame is on a distinguished road
Living aboard with kids

Hi,
My daughter was born on board in LaConner and my son in Seattle. We began long cruises with them at ages 2 and 3, cruising for 11-12 years. So plenty of experience here with kids on board. Make sure you have netting and we made certain places totally off limits. Kids are not allowed forward of the anchor winch, whatever your design is.

Mostly life on board is about sharing everyminute with your children. Not such a bad deal. Whatever you do, you do together. They got their first snorkels and masks at ages 3 & 4. In the tropics we used small inflatable inner tubes to go snorkeling with. That way they can stay in and watch the fish without having to use all of their energy trying to swim.

At the age your children are life is great on board. As they get older and more in with their peers, they tend to "want" the life everyone else has.

As they get older Fishing is a big pasttime. Plenty of books. Music. We had no TV, but allowed computer games after 20 minutes of working on typing tutor or some such thing.

There is no better life than raising your children at sea. We became landlubbers again when they were 14 & 15 and they are both in college now. Good schools, even though all of their life education was sketchy at best. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook