SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello, I'm new to this forum and need advice
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw View Post
Hi all,

I You guessed it, I'm a woman. My goal is to live aboard, at least part of the year. I'm thinking a boat in the size range of 25 to 35 ft might be manageable. I need advice from people who live aboard or spend a lot of time on their boats. I also will need TONS of advice on maintaining boat systems- especially outboards and engines.
Hey welcome Aboard! Because your a woman most guys will want to make sure you get or have their approval when you sail, dock and handle your boat, will almost never let or ask you to handle their's, ( boat that is!) Here on sail-net it's not much of an issue and the guys really are gentlemen! (Yes, I said that here!)
Anyway, I was inspired to buy a boat after many years of going out on windjammers in Maine. Since I've always loved boats I finally found myself able to buy one a few years back. Everyone said "get a smaller boat first" eh.. I did, wish I didn't! Hated walking reaching over the rail to the outboard, pulling the damn rope to start, getting trashed by even a dingy wake going by. Well, I sold the Hunter 23 and now have a Oday 30. The last couple of years we (my son and I) spent a few weeks on the Bay and got a real taste of "living aboard" I love it! Sailing alone is my dream but it gets boring real fast. I don't get much time now to get on the bay now because it takes at least one long day and evening to get there from here. (Bristol pa on the tidal Delaware) I do dream of a 35-42 for my ultimate live aboard, and I've no problem thinking I can handle it. I may be weird but I truely feel a larger boat is easier to handle.

For the most part single handing (the experts will chime in I'm sure) is using your mind and logic instead of pure muscle. Knowing my limitations up to certain wind conditions is very important also. But, I'm not going out in 30 knot winds because I need to prove something. I don't think to my knowledge any man on earth has really conquered the sea yet. have they? But they will try (giggles)

Oh, be sure to check out the "her sailnet" section too!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook