SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chapman School of Seamanship
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
OK back in the frigid land of Minnesota from a week in Florida. The BST class was pretty good. I will second that it does have a somewhat high school feel and that the instructors could do more to stop the chatter. Some were better than others at it.

The first aid/cpr day was pretty much a review for me as I already had the red cross class. But it had some good information in it about being away from proper medical care that was different than the shore based red cross class.

The personal safety portion was good. The in pool stuff was fun and we got to play with an inflatable liferaft. It was pretty beat up but gave you a good idea of what being on one in the middle on the ocean would be like. The survival suit was an interesting experience. I really hope I never have to be in one of those for any length of time.

The highlight of the class was the 2 days of firefighting at port canaveral. The setup they have there is pretty awesome. We were in full gear hauling hoses around the mocked up ship and going through various scenarios. They can fill the ship with smoke so it does not matter whether you open or close your eyes. They say the temp in there can get to 500 degrees and I would believe it. I don't think they cranked it up on us but it was certainly to the point where you were happy to have the gear on.

I learned a huge amount and highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook