SailNet Community - View Single Post - in search of easy roller furling (Schaefer Snapfurl?)
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
in search of easy roller furling (Schaefer Snapfurl?)

I just bought a new 26'' sailboat and it came with a Harken roller furler with a rigid aluminum extrusion. I''m sure its a great system, but its somewhat of a pain assembling and it has to be installed before the mast is up. If I had had a choice I would have bought the system from CDI. Its a flexible PVC extrusion with a lifetime warranty (covered even if someone at the yard runs over it--my Harken system only has a 5 year warranty, and you have to be very careful with it when you store it since it is rigid-I don''t think mishanding such as running over it with a vehicle is covered). It can be installed with the mast up etc and the installation is quick. Is the Schaefer system a flexible PVC system and if so what is the warranty? The manufacturer of my boat said that Harken had a flexible PVC system, but they were having quality control problems with the PVC extrusion and that about one third of the extrusion material was getting wasted during manufacturing. I have seen some negative comments about the CDI system on this message board, but the comments have not specified what is wrong with the system and the people commenting did not seem to have direct experience with it-I may be wrong. Does anyone out there have any concrete well founded specific negative comments about the CDI system? I was very impressed with it when I looked at it, and you can''t beat the warranty.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook