SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sealing my shrouds
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Sealing my shrouds

Any advice on how to seal the deck penetrations where the SS metal members go thru the deck and connect my shrouds to the knees below deck?

I have an old teak decked boat with a balsa core and the penetrations where the shrouds go thru have leaked ever since I bought the boat. The configuration is as follows. The knees are very beefy and bring the shroud attachment inboard about 15 inches from the hull. There is a four inch wide by 3/8 inch stainless steel flat stock member that attaches to the knees and goes thru the deck and the shrouds attach to that. The hole the flat stock goes thru is far bigger than it is due to the poor boat building practice. It has about 1/2 inch clearance on all sides. I've tried the West Marine caulk and it just doesn't work. I think I need a good flexible caulking that will stick well to the metal as well as the wooden parts. Any suggestions?

Fortunately I live in a near desert climate and it only leaks when it rains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook